Monday, February 25, 2008

Ordinary Mission

I am engaged in “ordinary mission.” This is not the kind of missionary experience where I live with the economically poor and politically oppressed, nor an experience where there are daily momentous miracles, conversions, or near-death experiences. This is mission work taking place largely in a 40-hour, 9-6 work week, based 75% of the time in an office (with a gorgeous garden view) in one of the wealthiest boroughs of London, one of the most expensive cities in the world. However, I have realised that although my work is my named mission, and the reason why I am here, there is potential for mission which goes beyond my work with Bridge Builders.

I recently went on a retreat day where I spent part of the day reflecting on and naming some development goals for my remaining year and a half in London. I discovered that I wanted to see my involvements as addressing local, national, and global concerns. I did not want to see Bridge Builders as my only partnership and contribution to God’s work in the world; I wanted to engage in strategic mission in all facets of my life, including beyond my daily work.

On the local level, I am currently involved with a tennis club, chamber choir, and occasional Bible Study. Although these have been important aspects of my mission here, I have a further desire to engage in mission beyond the rich and educated few. I do not know many of my neighbours, and very few who cannot afford to attend the local tennis club. In order to meet some more neighbours, I have decided to go along to a local soup kitchen, at least once/month. I also hope to see if I can be of practical help to new initiatives that the borough has developed seeking to be a more environmentally sustainable borough.

On the national level, I see my primary involvement through Bridge Builders. “Transforming Church Conflict in Great Britain” is our mission. We train church leaders and lay Christians in how to deal with conflict in their daily lives and in their churches. With God’s help, this learning transforms individual lives around the country, and helps create healthier churches which can then more fully witness to the love of God.

On the global level, I continue to try to live in harmony with the earth, continuing to take small steps which decrease my harm to the earth, in ways I can control. As a citizen of the United States, a true global superpower, I also hope to stay abreast of legislation and measures coming out of the White House (and the Capitol Building in Richmond) which I may or may not support, and giving my voice to the elected leaders in support of laws and policies which promote the health and wellbeing of all people on the earth, without preference.

These are dreams, but dreams which I hope will be attainable goals. Most of us are engaged in “ordinary mission.” Join me in asking where the boundaries for mission begin and end – and dreaming how we may better shape our lives to be vessels for God’s work in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home