Monday, January 08, 2007

Junkyard living?

An old favourite band of mine, Ceili Rain, has a song called "Junkyard." In it, they sing
Saw a movie where a guy kills another guy twice;
don't know if I can forget about it

saw a guy finish a fight with a butcher knife slice;
pretty sure I won't forget about it

saw a photo on the net I can't believe that I've seen;
don't know if I can forget about

two kids were playing in some dirt that'll never come clean;
wish to God I could forget about it

a vicious rumor went around, wrecked my uncle john's life;
guess he never could forget about it

So often we let ourselves be passive recipients to the spirit-degrading fluff perpetually cycling around us, patiently taking it in by osmosis forgetting that we can never "not let it affect us" or put it in a separate box which is "only entertainment." If we live in the world, then we cannot turn the off-switch on the barrage of advertising, media, and lifestyles which prey on desires of the flesh and not the spirit. We must constantly make choices - not to stay huddled in our yurt in Bhutan (which, by the way, is a place I would love to visit) - but to make choices for that which we have control over. And for that which we do not have control over (which is significant, but overall still minimal), we must pray and be conscious to feed ourselves more spirit-nourishing food to keep our perspectives in check.

I write these words in a "we must", preaching sort of mode. But to be honest, it is coming from someone who all too recently rediscovered her amazing ability to imbibe degrading fluff by osmosis and choice without having thought twice.

I'd rather think twice. I'm not worried that my life will be too boring. It's been quite exciting thus far and I'd much rather have joy than regret.

Is it okay if I say: my heart is not a junkyard;
my mind is not a dump for all the gunk around;
my spirit's not a junkyard, no, it's Holy ground.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home