Wednesday, August 29, 2007

August Adventures

A slight shift from more reflective pieces to offer an update on my adventurous August, for curious minds.

Adventure 1: Lithuania (29 July - 10 Aug)


My August adventures began with a forty-hour coach (bus) ride to Lithuania for Mennonite Mission Network's Colloquium, held every other year. I took the coach for primarily environmental reasons (convenience and cost ruled out train) and I was not displeased with the additional opportunity for adventure. We traveled through England, a tip of France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Poland, and arrived in Vilnius via Kaunas, Lithuania. Traveling by coach was much more relaxing than many others feared, and I spent likely half the time sleeping. I was intrigued to travel through so many different countries on the ground, seeing how buildings and languages changed as we drove by. I was particularly struck by the northern towns in Poland and the clear lack of economic prosperity, which reminded me of my time in Appalachia.

Upon arriving in Vilnius, I sought after a proper meal, having forgotten the need for euros or litas along the way to purchase food, walked around the old town, and rested in a hostel before meeting some others traveling to Klaipeda the next morning. Another coach ride awaited me and twenty other MMN-colloque attendees in the morning, stopping for a traditional Lithuanian meal on the way.


I will not bore readers with details of each day, but suffice it to say I had a nice time - mostly through meeting new friends and spending time with old friends, having at least two days of "real holiday" relaxing on the beach and in cafes. I experienced a bit of Lithuanian culture as well, for which I was grateful, and intrigued to see how the country has dealt with numerous external authorities ruling the land and its continual adjustments from agriculture to industrial - and now growing post-industrial society.


Adventure 2: Coast-to-Coast Walk (11 - 22 Aug)

A short 30 hours after my return coach ride from Lithuania, I left London with my neighbour Anicka Fast to walk A. Wainwright's Coast to Coast walk from St Bees to Robin Hood's Bay, although due to time constraints, I could only walk as far as Richmond, approximately two-thirds of the 190 mile trek. Since I knew I was unable to make the whole distance, I shortened a lot of the long days (20-25 miles) into two days, averaging about 13 miles a day for almost 10 days of walking.
















The walking was absolutely beautiful; unfortunately when walking coast-to-coast, you cannot spend hours (let alone days!) in every beautiful place you walk through, so you learn how to appreciate the beauty as you continue walking. Anicka and I walked through the Lake District together - full of beautiful fells, lakes, becks, and small villages. She returned to London towards the east side of the Lake District where I continued on alone, but having met several friends along the way which I met up with as I walked.

After the Lake District, I traveled through some more gradually sloping lands through Orton (note: Chocolate Factory in the village!) and into the Yorkshire Dales, where I met a more rolling landscape with moors of heather, and many more stiles - especially squeeze stiles on the last day - and stone walls and stone barns. And throughout all my walking - sheep and boggy ground!














There are many stories to tell from these ten days, including days of challenging walking, days of miserable weather, days receiving amazing hospitality, "traumas" and many more beautiful pictures ... too many for this quick August update, however. You can find more coast to coast pictures on my picasa online album: http://picasaweb.google.com/sharonkniss


Adventure 3: Greenbelt (24 - 27 Aug)

Not much to report here; this time I had 40 hours in between my adventures. I arrived back from Richmond and the walk in time to pack and prepare for Greenbelt the following day. Greenbelt is a Christian Arts festival which attracts nearly 20,000 people every year to Cheltenham racecourse where music groups, speakers, arts and literature, comedy, worship, and lots of stalls and food and small shops offer four days of festival for people, most of whom camp on site. Things were a lot more relaxed this year as we had a "Root and Branch Zone" instead of just a Mennonite stall. I wasn't challenged or inspired by many of the speakers, but did appreciate hearing Ched Myers, James Alison (again), and Pete Rollins speak. The highlight of the weekend, though, hands-down, was meeting John Tavener, including hearing him interviewed and hearing a performance of some of his works. John Tavener is an intriguing gentleman - particularly his gentle demeanor and Orthodox faith. I was honoured to have the privilege of meeting one of the greatest living composers.


Adventure 4: Lambeth Palace (29 Aug)















Quite a minor adventure in comparison to the rest of
my month, in the last few days of home-based holiday this month, I was able to do a good bit of relaxing and hanging out with friends. One of the things I did was to meet my mentor for coffee this morning. She is currently working at Lambeth Palace, home of the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, temporarily filling in on a post she previously served while the person currently in the role is on sabbatical (a Director-type position overseeing international work, ecumenism, and theological work, from what I gathered). I walked up to the palace, knocked on the large wooden knocker, and was let in by the porter. He welcomed me in, checked to see who I was meeting, and directed me through the courtyard to the appropriate door. As I was about halfway across the courtyard (see first photo to the right), the door was opened, but no one appeared in the doorway ... the door was being opened for me (door to the right of the main door, seen barely in second photo). I was met by Flora's assistant who introduced himself, and showed me to her office. He also then promptly brought us tea and coffee. The unusual bit of today's visit was the lovely chance for a tour inside the palace. Lambeth Palace is not a public building, as it is a residence in addition to its other capacities, so only staff (permanent staff live at the palace or nearby in church-owned flats) and the very rare group can see the inside (aside from dignataries and world leaders who are hosted, of course). I was able to see the two chapels used, one or two halls used for larger meetings or dinners, a few "drawing room" type places, where international guests (Presidents, royalty, world relgious leaders, etc) would be hosted, etc. Flora (my mentor) said the place operates very much like a court - and it felt very much like it as we passed through the halls with nearly life-size paintings of the past archbishops, walking along corridors with busts and a glass case showing recent gifts ("gizzicks") given from the most recent trip to China. Flora also explained that the Archbishop ranks higher than the PM, so when Tony Blair and Rowan Williams would meet, Tony Blair would be hosted at Lambeth Palace - the Archbishop would not go to 10 Downing Street. The palace is a rebuilt 19th century building, also having incurred damage from the war - thus having more newly rebuilt sections as well. The entryway which I entered was Tudor, however. Flora explained that the post of Archbishop had been around for 1000 years ... predating the monarchy. Thus, when there was first an Archbishop of Canterbury, there were Kings presiding over different areas of what is now GB.


These adventures certainly leave me awestruck ... at the beauty of God, the beauty of people, and of course the strange sensation of who am I? and where am I? that I meet people like John Tavener and walk in the doors of places like Lambeth Palace. I guess it's all a part of my time here, and I'm left grateful (if not a bit confused!), to say the least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home